[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Easier way to run terminal?
Started by Mike_Lorenz Nov 06 2010 09:50 PM

4 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Mike_Lorenz

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Mike_Lorenz
  • Enthusiast

• 98 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi guys:

I'm looking for an easier way to test-run my app with terminal output, without having to go through the very tedious process every time: Click on Corona Terminal, Command-Tab to the Simulator (because for whatever reason it starts at the bottom of the application stack), press "Open a Project", click, click, click, click in the Finder to get to my project directory, then finally run it.

I tried modifying [a copy of] the "Corona Terminal" script that comes with Corona, but to no avail: it keeps prompting me for the project to open.

I'm hoping there's a way to add the development directory to the command line so I can avoid going through the hassle of "Open a Project" every time. Has anyone else been able to do this? Thanks!
uid: 9659 topic_id: 3471 reply_id: 303471

MikeHart

MikeHart
  • Corona Geek

• 1,278 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi,

soon there will be a much easier way. I am working on something that supports this feature ;-)

cheers
Michael Hartlef

http://www.whiteskygames.com
http://www.twitter.com/mhartlef
uid: 5712 topic_id: 3471 reply_id: 10423

Tim

Tim
  • Contributor

• 222 posts
  • Alumni

I agree, there should be an easier/quicker way to do this. I'll file an enhancement request.

But if you pass the project folder path as a parameter to the Corona Terminal script it will open that project in the simulator:

$ ./Corona\ Terminal /Applications/CoronaSDK/SampleCode/GettingStarted/HelloWorld

Tim
uid: 8196 topic_id: 3471 reply_id: 10592

IgnacioIturra

IgnacioIturra
  • Contributor

• 359 posts
  • Guests

If you're working only on one project at a time it's not that annoying. Also it will remember the last project you opened so not that much clicking.

The problem I'm having is that unlike main.lua scripts which you can save modifications and test them right away just reinitializing the simulator, png files don't really work that way. I have to close the project (which sometimes will stay in memory anyway so I have to open another) make the tiny modification to my png file, save and open the project again.

For minor tweaks it get's annoying real fast. Any way to be able to save png files while the simulator is running the same way as .lua files (as in the simulator creating temporary copies of your files)?
uid: 10835 topic_id: 3471 reply_id: 10602

Mike_Lorenz

Mike_Lorenz
  • Enthusiast

• 98 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Tim:

That worked, thanks! I was trying it a different way. I copied the Corona Terminal script to my development directory and modified it so it would automatically open the current project. But I could never get that to work. I'm not a Mac OS X / Unix / bash expert, so I probably did something wrong.

@IgnacioIturra:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the simulator does not remember the last project for me.

In any case, it's working to my satisfaction now. I'd like to find a way to run the terminal simulator from a script in my own directory, but for now this is OK.
uid: 9659 topic_id: 3471 reply_id: 10605

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]