[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Gree vs. OpenFeint?
Started by KenRogoway May 24 2012 02:05 PM

- - - - -
56 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

kRona

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
kRona
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

The more I think about this the worse it gets. It seems to me I have to go to stand alone GC support and dump OF considering I am using the OF implementation which posts to GC. So if OF goes away, so does my GC posting. Isn't that correct?!

Or is there a better solution to keep OF in hopes that there is a simple and clear migration path to Gree with Corona? Right now we don't even know if Gree will be supported!

I'm surprised this isn't being addressed in a big way seems like a big deal to me....I see a lot of nice Corona games using OF right now...
uid: 8139 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114892

kRona

kRona
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

+1

So if OF goes away, so does my GC posting (using the OF method of posting to GX). Isn't that correct?
uid: 8139 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114953

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

@kRona at this point, I'm advising clients with unlaunched games to skip using OpenFeint. We are now in the 3rd Quarter and I think it would be frustrating to users to have to switch even if they hold true to "the end of the year".

To answer your question specifically, if you are utilizing GameCenter through OpenFient, and when OF goes away, so will your access to GameCenter.

In an ideal world, Gree would understand the importance of the OF user base and offer a call compatible version of their API and they would make that available to developers sooner than later. Now for full disclosure, I have not researched Gree and I'm only going on this post as my information source! Then Corona Labs would do a release and not have to do anything. Gree could port the users to their new system. Chances of that happening seem to be less than finding Higgs Bosons with out a large particle collider.

In the worst case scenerio, Gree leads Corona Labs on, only to not have anything for us by the drop-dead date which doesn't give Corona Labs time to implement any other options and they don't do anything to save their existing OF user base and we are left without any options for non-iOS people.

Reality will likely fall somewhere in between. I expect that somewhere in Palo Alto, Corona Labs is either a) busily trying to implement Gree into Corona in a way that we don't have to change our gameNetwork calls, beyond providing a new provider, and swapping ID's for our LeaderBoards, Achievements and AppID's. or b) they are researching alternatives and plan to have another option available to us shortly given that at any moment OF could go down for good. It is not in their best interest to discuss that with us until it's no longer vaporware because they are probably exploring both tracks and will let us know once they know the path they are going down.

If it were me, I would not waist a drop of energy on OF for games that are not live and would personally explore rolling your own leader boards/achievement tracking or explore a service like GameMinion and build a system that is branded to your product. If having the meta service like GameCenter where your players can see all the games they play are important, add GC independently.
uid: 19626 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114956

kRona

kRona
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

@robmiracle

HAAAA! "Chances of that happening seem to be less than finding Higgs Bosons with out a large particle collider." Actually I found it last year, it was in my couch. I didn't get much attention though because I was a small name particle finder, so I decided to try my hand at Indie games ;0)

Thanks very much for clearing that up for me, obviously I can't have GC go away and all of the OF Gree speculation is just plain unsettling. So it's time to pull it from even my current game at least on iOS before other people get hooked, my user base is not that big right now and they will have Game Center. I like your idea about having your own leaders, good idea. I've seen where you have posted good info on that, going to have a look.

Thanks again!
uid: 8139 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114962

GamingStudio17

GamingStudio17
  • Contributor

• 166 posts
  • Corona SDK

Corona Labs please add support gameNetwork.show ("highscore", "abc123") on android in Openfeint, it is very necessary.
uid: 138593 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 121405

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

@GamingStudio17 why would Corona Lab's spend one ounce of time adding anything to openFeint when openFeint is dying.
uid: 19626 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 121414

GamingStudio17

GamingStudio17
  • Contributor

• 166 posts
  • Corona SDK

@robmiracle I think that to do this is simple, and it is very important to me. Of course it would be better to add support for Gree.
uid: 138593 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 121415

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]