[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Gree vs. OpenFeint?
Started by KenRogoway May 24 2012 02:05 PM

- - - - -
56 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

KenRogoway

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
KenRogoway
  • Contributor

• 272 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Alex,

I don't know why Apple would care. If anything they would probably be glad that OpenFeint will be gone; figuring it will mean more people will code for Game Center.

@M-Game,

I didn't take it as aggressive. Seemed pretty matter-of-fact as if to say "people" should have known for some time. They have also said that Ansca knew for some time about the switch to Gree. So you should be bugging Ansca to add Gree support to Corona as soon as possible.
uid: 16734 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110689

AlexGreene

AlexGreene
  • Contributor

• 190 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well Gree will just replace Openfeint, so Apple shouldn't be happy. They might be annoyed because now there will be thousands of app icons bearing the Openfeint logo, with app descriptions claiming Openfeint, but wait... no Openfeint. If there's one thing Apple doesn't like, it's chaos and unorganization.
uid: 7116 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110692

KenRogoway

KenRogoway
  • Contributor

• 272 posts
  • Corona SDK

I don't follow you. If the apps stop working (at least their leaderboards and achievements) then developers will be motivated to replace the app with something using Gree or Game Center. Apple doesn't need to get involved at all other than when 1000 users complain the app is broken.
uid: 16734 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110694

DavidRangel

DavidRangel

• 888 posts
  • Corona Staff

Hey guys - I want to make a few quick comments on this.

Openfeint (now Gree) has traditionally been very hard to communicate with, as can be seen from the mixed messages we are getting from them, and the lack of real info on the new site. The first we knew about OF potentially going away was when Ken posted about it on this thread and I reached out to their dev relations.

What we (Ansca) know right now:

1) About OF and how long it will be around: I exchanged emails with one of their developer relations people and he said that OF will be up and running through the end of the year at least. At that point they would evaluate whether it stays live longer.

So, I *think* that any games using it now are safe for several more months. Of course, this may change.

2) About new Gree SDK: They (Gree) obviously want to move people to their new SDK, hence the lack of info about OF on their site. However, I was also told that the SDK is currently in open beta. This usually means that it is still changing significantly. It is not a good idea for us to put an SDK like that into Corona SDK - it will just be bad news for everyone. Plus, it's not clear to us that Gree will be the best option out there yet.

So, we are evaluating the situation, and at least waiting until they come out of beta to commit to it.

In the meantime we are talking with other companies. I know the GameMinion guys have posted here and I would encourage people to give them a try (and let me know what you think ;)

I am trying to find out more and will let you know if and when I learn anything. Feel free to email me with questions/comments: david AT anscamobile
uid: 10668 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110701

shark.androidlab

shark.androidlab
  • Observer

• 14 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hy guys, i have a problem. I still see my game's leaderbord through openfeint/gree web site, but if i try to open it in the app it won't go. The loading logo run continuosly.
Can someone help me please?
uid: 70625 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110970

3 Dreams Gaming

3 Dreams Gaming
  • Contributor

• 172 posts
  • Corona SDK

@shark.androidlab
There seems to be an issue with Open Feint on android. I had the same issue where Open Feint would be stuck on loading on android but would work fine on iOS. Our game is currently in review, I decided to pull it from review in all stores and take out Open Feint. It's just not worth the headache at this point. Besides we were only using it for the achievements and created our own online leaderboards.
uid: 126161 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110977

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

My garme was rejected by Amazon because of open feint. They said when they launched the app it tried to goto OF but got a blank screen. So I'm killing of and will launch on amazon/android/nook with out it
uid: 19626 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 110982

Method Mobile

Method Mobile
  • Contributor

• 135 posts
  • Corona SDK

Same here infinate loading in openfeint when trying to access the dashboard. :( Looks like its time to roll my own Leaderboards. I guess mysql would be a good thing to learn anyways.
uid: 39088 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 111034

shark.androidlab

shark.androidlab
  • Observer

• 14 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ok thanks to all of you. I'll see what i can do ;)
uid: 70625 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 111035

KenRogoway

KenRogoway
  • Contributor

• 272 posts
  • Corona SDK

Are people still getting this, or was it a temporary problem with OpenFeint?

If it is still happening then it probably means Gree has pulled the plug on OpenFeint and it's time to remove my support for OF from all my apps.
uid: 16734 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 111095

jonparkins

jonparkins
  • Enthusiast

• 61 posts
  • Corona SDK

OF still seems to work fine on our iOS title, we had massive trouble getting it to work on Android though and just ditched it. We had the exact same problems others mentioned where it would just go to a white screen, on the OF side, everything said it was fine and activated.

Going to look into Game Minion, sounds like it covers off a lot of the deficiencies that existed with OF, really all you had available to you were the Leaderboards and Achievements. Game Minion sounds like it'll have a whole gamut of fun.

Guess when OF finally shuts down, we're going to have to pull the support from our current title. Really made the decision easy on whether or not we were going to use it on the title we're currently working on! Nope!

@GameMinion, will your Push Notifications support the ability to have clickable URLS? That is going to be super important to a lot of us for Cross Promoting our apps with other developers.
uid: 54327 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 111105

Method Mobile

Method Mobile
  • Contributor

• 135 posts
  • Corona SDK

This is still happening on my end. Scores still get posted as I can see them on the openfeint developer page. Dashboard and leaderboards still at an infinate loop. Funny thing though, openfeint still works for other games. My leaderboards were working fine a couple weeks ago on my device. Ive done updates since then, but from what I'm reading seems like it might not be my code.
uid: 39088 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 111155

info583

info583
  • Enthusiast

• 85 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm trying to decide on what to go with, since OF is now out of the question I've been looking into Scoreoid, never heard about Game Minion though will have to check that out and compare it with Scoreoid for my final decision.

EDIT: I think I'm going to use the free option (Scoreoid) in this case, Game Minion seems to provide some nice features such as multiplayer and social connect, but since I don't need them Scoreoid is the natrual choice.
uid: 129450 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112464

Method Mobile

Method Mobile
  • Contributor

• 135 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just an update on the openfeint infinite loading. I am no longer having these issues. Leaderboards load and so does the dashboard. It was definitely on the openfeint side of things because I did not update my app and leaderboards just started working on their own.

Thanks
uid: 39088 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112491

iqSoup

iqSoup
  • Enthusiast

• 40 posts
  • Corona SDK

I can't believe GREE spends $104 million on OpenFeint and doesn't hit the ground running with it. They are going to lose so many customers in this awkward transition. Game Minion, Game Center, and similar services are going to take a huge market share in this clumsy acquisition. Typical Japanese business...extremely slow to adapt and out of touch with customers.

I think most of us have website and can just make our own databases for high scores and such. Does any one know an easy way to access/change a MySQL database (or maybe another format) from within Corona? I have no idea how to do this but maybe someone smarter out there could be so kind as to offer his or her two cents?

Thanks!
uid: 94309 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112821

3 Dreams Gaming

3 Dreams Gaming
  • Contributor

• 172 posts
  • Corona SDK

@iqsoup - robmiracle has a great tutorial to get you started with mysql, php, and corona

http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2012/04/16/tutorial-how-make-your-app-talk-web-service-or-how-setup-web-service-your-app-talk#comment-105167
uid: 126161 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112822

Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis
  • Contributor

• 716 posts
  • Enterprise

This seems like a ripe plum for CoronaLabs to pick. Perhaps they and the GameMinion folks could team up and create a stable, Corona SDK integrated, cross platform web services solution so we all don't have to keep rolling our own or use 3rd party solutions that barely support, or have never heard of, Corona SDK.
uid: 9422 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112827

iqSoup

iqSoup
  • Enthusiast

• 40 posts
  • Corona SDK

@3 Dreams Gaming

Thanks a ton! This is exactly what I need. I've had a lot of experience with PHP and MySQL but didn't know how to integrate with Corona. Thanks again!
uid: 94309 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112828

3 Dreams Gaming

3 Dreams Gaming
  • Contributor

• 172 posts
  • Corona SDK

Don't thank me thank rob. I used that tutorial to make my own leaderboards.
uid: 126161 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112829

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

@XenonBL I think you have a great idea. But I suspect that running a server farm offering API services is not part of Corona Lab's core competencies. Working with Game Minion would end up being like any other 3rd party integration. I think since the GM people are Corona users, that could be a good relationship.

I think its important to not have a branded solution though. When I had Open Feint in my apps, when I would get questions and comments from my testers like "I didn't know what that Open Feint thing was so I just said "No"". If your players are being prompted to sign up for something when your app opens up that they don't know, they are going to be turned off to your app, I believe that logging in needs to happen through standards that people are used to (Facebook/Twitter) or through your own branded login form the better off your app will be.

And thanks for the kind words about my blog post/tutorial!
uid: 19626 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112835

3 Dreams Gaming

3 Dreams Gaming
  • Contributor

• 172 posts
  • Corona SDK

If you want a good example of what can be done with your own leaderboards and Corona. Try our new game Word Search Craze on Apple, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Google Play. We made our own leaderboards using robmiracles tutorial as a great starting point. We were able to make a fully functioning leaderboard system with no problems.

It consists of a new user creation, a user login, auto posting to the leaderboard, get scores from all 620 leaderboards that are in use for our game, and all the error handling that one could ask for. So it is very possible to make your own and not too bad, especially if you know a little php and how to work a mysql server (i use phpMyAdmin so its very simple).

Also, a few words of encouragement, i knew nothing about mysql and php when i started coding these leaderboards, so you can see how easy it could be if you have some time to learn.
uid: 126161 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 112841

kRona

kRona
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

I had no idea this was going away either. It seems kind of stupid to have an OF button in my game when there really is no OF anymore, but what about the people that might still be using it....
til the end of the year.....I don't know tough call. How many people are pulling OF out of their game like now because of this?
uid: 8139 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114807

M-Game Minion

M-Game Minion
  • Enthusiast

• 43 posts
  • Corona SDK

@kRona although I would love to tell you to dump OF and use Game Minion, but I think at this stage the best thing I would do is hold tight. If your product is already out there and you have a user base, I wouldn't rock the boat.
Generally speaking you should try and reduce the number of updates that shift your players, and focus these updates on adding new content and game features.
The last thing you want to do is release an update removing OF and then by some miracle OF decides to support Corona again, having to send out yet another update with it installed.

@robmiracle is right when he mentioned the issue that the players actually belong to OF and not the developer. This is something Game Minion consciously chose to move away from and make sure we are never seen, this is your game not ours, we are merely the tool to help you make it.
uid: 144378 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114831

kRona

kRona
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

@M-Game Minion thanks for that great reply. Very honest and things to think about. I am going to check out Game Minion just for that :0)

Currently my user base is about nil, no matter what marketing efforts I have taken. I think I might just dump OF rather than gamble on Gree. I'll certainly look at Game Minion. I think @XenonBL has a good point it would be great if the Corona folks would work with Game Minion to give us an integrated solution that does not disappear in the future and cause us all kinds of hell.
uid: 8139 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114856

kRona

kRona
  • Contributor

• 175 posts
  • Corona SDK

Found some more info, looks like might last until "at least Q3 2013":

http://support.openfeint.com/dev/openfeint-to-gree/

All around this is not good. There's no sense growing an OF user base if it is going away, what about all the games that are using OF here?

This should be addressed immediately. We need to know if there will be a clear migration path or if Gree will be even supported!

I found this quite by accident while looking for something else in the forum. I bet there's a lot of devs like myself who do not even know there game is about to look really stupid for offering a service that you can't even get to on the web anymore (well at least not a main website).
uid: 8139 topic_id: 26768 reply_id: 114858

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]