[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

StoryBoard Issues Thread : Please post any
Started by Danny Mar 30 2012 05:13 AM

- - - - -
108 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 »
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

a.lepel

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
a.lepel
  • Contributor

• 104 posts
  • Corona SDK

Build 781: Still no screen capture

Hi,
In 781 I still have the problem described in my earlier post regarding the assumed automatic screen capture. It worked fine with build 775, since 776 this functionality is broken:

Please have a look at my posting above:
http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2012/03/30/storyboard-issues-thread-please-post-any#comment-98200

Could you please tell us if this is a problem that you'll fix or did you intentionally remove the screen capture functionality?
This is quite important as right now three different projects for clients are depending on this.

Best,
Andreas
uid: 107675 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99755

Danny

Danny
  • Corona Geek

• 2,597 posts
  • Corona Staff

The screen capture was removed due to it being the cause of delays with scene transitions
uid: 84637 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99779

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

I gave 781 a quick spin and it seems to have fixed the "I didn't specify a transition" bug and I don't see any problem with fonts....

I won't know if it addressed some other issues I was having until I can build for devices and put it on my Kindle Fire until later tonight.

But from my quick look, I wouldn't describe it as a mess. Wonder if something else is going on?
uid: 19626 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99796

ckausik

ckausik
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just tried 781. It breaks the fonts (stretched or squeezed), gradients are showing horizontally, instead of vertically, a big X sign, border for rectangles are gone... overall big mess.

UPDATE: Ignore the above. I must have clicked on the wrong file to install. The above problems do not exist in 781.
uid: 19297 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99785

toby2

toby2
  • Contributor

• 166 posts
  • Corona SDK

781 does still have transition bugs:

Animated transition "slide*" from scene1 to scene2 works.

No transition back to scene1 from scene2 does not work (blank screen, no scene at all).

The above *does* work if the animated transition is a CrossFade or a "from*" transition. I did not test the others.

-----

Animated transition from scene1 to scene2 works.

Animated transition back to scene1 from scene2 works.

-----

No transition from scene1 to scene2 works.

No transition back to scene1 from scene2 works.

-----

uid: 44647 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99830

toby2

toby2
  • Contributor

• 166 posts
  • Corona SDK

Playing with 781, the new storyboard.loadScene() is something I really want to use in my project. It's a little buggy though.

On my title screen, I preload the "game" scene with the new function, but now I'm unable to change to any other scene -- no matter what scene I goto, all I see is the game scene.

A workaround is to set the game.view.isVisible = false after I load it but that seems like something Storyboard should be doing for me.
uid: 44647 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99847

jonathanbeebe

jonathanbeebe
  • Contributor

• 654 posts
  • Alumni

More changes that will be pushed in with an upcoming build (should be out this week) include:

• Renamed "enterBegan" event to "willEnterScene" (for clarity)

• Renamed "exitEnded" event to "didExitScene" (for clarity)

• Fixed bug with storyboard.loadScene() where loaded scene would interfere (thanks @toby2)

• Fixed bug where "destroyScene" would get dispatched on every scene purge, regardless if a view existed or not (it should only be dispatched just prior to removing a scene's view group, if it exists).

@toby2: With all the changes above, I was not able to reproduce the problem you described where scene2 would not go back to scene1 if no effect is specified. If you're still having this issue once the build with the above changes gets posted, please submit a bug report with a test case demonstrating the problem.

NOTE: The above changes are still under review, so it may or may not end up in the next daily build. Just monitor the daily build release notes for the word "Storyboard".
uid: 52430 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99902

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

I built my Yosemite Photo Gallery App for Kindle Fire with 781 and the problems demonstrated in post #8 above are still present which was confirmed previously on generic android as well.

I'm not sure they are storyboard related, but there is certainly something not right. This exact code works well on iOS
uid: 19626 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99903

jonathanbeebe

jonathanbeebe
  • Contributor

• 654 posts
  • Alumni

@robmiracle: Do the issues on KF/Android devices happen with the Storyboard sample as well? Or just your app?
uid: 52430 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99907

richard9

richard9
  • Corona Geek

• 1,118 posts
  • Enterprise

EDIT: Nevermind, seems that instead of throwing an error, Corona now just throws a warning about loading the scene instead. Fix a bug and it shows up again. :) (The message is deceptive, but still my fault)
uid: 41884 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99917

jonathanbeebe

jonathanbeebe
  • Contributor

• 654 posts
  • Alumni

Another quick update — the changes I described earlier have been pushed in and should be available in daily build 2012.782.
uid: 52430 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99941

ckausik

ckausik
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

I still have issues when trying to go back to a previous screen results into screen moving past the device width by half. It looks like below:

123456         999999        456
123456   >     999999  <     456
123456         999999        456
uid: 19297 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99942

jonathanbeebe

jonathanbeebe
  • Contributor

• 654 posts
  • Alumni

@ckausik: Do you have off-screen objects? If so, where? What effect are you using?

If you can zip up a small test case that demonstrates your issue and file a bug report, that would be the quickest way to narrow down what's going on. Also ensure you are using the latest daily build—thanks!
uid: 52430 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99943

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just built the storyboard sample and ran it on the KF and it ran fine.

I tried to duplicate my using of a secondary group with the same positioning logic my app is using and while vertical it works fine.

I tried to make it a horizontal app and I'm getting a "can't read package" type error. I've obviously screwed up my build.settings file.

But short answer, the storyboard sample runs fine on the KF.
EDIT: Oh I do have off screen objects. By default the caption and control panels that are displaying incorrectly are off screen until the viewer taps them to move them on screen.

uid: 19626 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99946

ckausik

ckausik
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

@ jonathanbeebe: I do not have any off-screen object which is part of the storyboard. I do have an off-screen group which I use as slide down screen for some setting changes. I'll remove that and check what happens.

I am using 781. It works fine until 768. This belongs to a huge piece of code. I'll see if I can simulate it with easily.

UPDATE: I removed the off-screen display group. Still no difference.

I am using slideLeft from scene 1 > scene 2 and then slideRight from scene 2 > 1. If I remove the transitions, I get a blank screen when going back from 2 > 1.

UPDATE 2: It only happens in 781 if the scene 1 was first used in loadScene and then in gotoScene. If I call gotoScene directly, no problem at all. If I remember correctly, in one of the earlier versions, that was not the case.
uid: 19297 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99944

jonathanbeebe

jonathanbeebe
  • Contributor

• 654 posts
  • Alumni

@ckausik: I think you'll have to submit a test case that isolates the issue, because I'm not able to reproduce your transition problems with the storyboard sample. I'm using the same transitions as you are, on the same scenes, and everything seems to work fine when going from scene2 to scene1 with no effect.

EDIT: In response to your update #2, storyboard.loadScene() is not meant to actually display the scene. In fact, starting with 2012.782 the scene will not be visible even after calling loadScene().

If you want to show the scene and make it the currently active scene, use storyboard.gotoScene(), and if you want it to show instantly, use storyboard.gotoScene() without an effect.
uid: 52430 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99949

ckausik

ckausik
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

@ jonathanbeebe: I'll come up with a test case.

Regarding update #2: I am calling loadScene to do some processing to get the data (business app) and then calling gotoScene once the data is available for display.

If I directly call gotoScene (as I was doing until the nifty loadScene was available), I see a blank screen for while when the data for the scene is being read. Using loadScene allows me to show the current scene with a wait message on top until the data is available for display.
uid: 19297 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99951

ckausik

ckausik
  • Contributor

• 231 posts
  • Corona SDK

@jonathanbeebe: I think the placement of gotoScene call is causing this problem. I am calling loadScene first. loadScene calls a function. The last line of that function calls gotoScene. Is this wrong way to call gotoScene?
uid: 19297 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99961

Hotaman

Hotaman
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just finished converting our latest app from director and our heavily modified original coronaui to storyboard/widget libs.

Conversion was easy BUT...

Our app has gone from being rock solid to a flaky mess.

We are using build 777 right now as it appears to be the most stable. Memory issues are now worse! when running we are using ~60MB of texture instead of the previous ~38MB loading the EXACT SAME assets! Strange to say the least. All of the assets are not being freed either even though using Cider I have confirmed that there are no references to the assets at all.

We are getting errors in the createScene event calling factory functions like display.newText().
Like a HARD CODED 160 for the x value blowing up because the system says it's a STRING!
Or a hard coded "-" for the text string blowing up because the system says it's a NIL!

We also get bus memory errors like illegal access of location $07 and table access errors saying the var is not pointing to a table when in fact is was just pointed to one and accessed in the previous instruction.

These errors happen randomly, the code may work fine through dozens if iterations then boom it blows up or it might blow up on the first pass. I have not been able to produce a repeatable error so I have not created a bug report. With 35 years of experience programming and being a certified software tester I know if I can't repeat it, they can't fix it.

At this point we have gone back to the original code, waiting for a stable system to build on. I have tried 775 thru 782 and it appears 777 is the most stable. We are not using any transitions except fade in a couple places, using fade on all transitions is much more unstable. I haven't tried any of the other transitions due to problem reports with them and objects off screen. We do have one group in one scene that is larger than the screen so I stayed away from transitions when it is involved.

Is anyone else seeing these kind of problems?

The most stable version used the following:
Corona.777
LevelHelper R2 (I think it's R2, its the original 14 file version, I tried R3 and R8 too)
(using R8 and the latest builds broke our continous parallax as well)
No transitions at all
Runs for seconds to maybe an hour tops between crashes.

Releasing new version using corona.777 and director with our button and text libs - Rock Solid!
No leaks, but it won't free loaded assets. Oh well, maybe next version.

uid: 26049 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 100435

mort

mort
  • Contributor

• 116 posts
  • Corona SDK

--
uid: 73951 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 99814

jonathanbeebe

jonathanbeebe
  • Contributor

• 654 posts
  • Alumni

@Hotaman: Can you use the storyboard sample to reproduce any of your issues? If not, the problem could be in the structure of your storyboard events, what you're doing (or not doing) during "exitScene" and/or "destroyScene" and several other factors.

If you can reproduce the issues using the storyboard sample, your issues are likely a direct result of a storyboard bug. In that case, I recommend you submit a test case via a bug report.

It could be that we need a "Director to Storyboard" porting guide of some sort. Have you read the following blog post:

http://blog.anscamobile.com/2012/03/storyboard-scene-events-explained/

If not, that might help you weed out some problems.
uid: 52430 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 100444

Hive

Hive
  • Enthusiast

• 86 posts
  • Corona SDK

Transitions are flawless with 782. Great great job guys! I may or may not have a couple of issues to report. I will post back here if it turns out I do. Thanks again! These are super.
uid: 42417 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 100495

Hive

Hive
  • Enthusiast

• 86 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ok, I am seeing what I believe to be an issue. I am using a native.showWebPopup on a couple of my scenes and then calling native.cancelWebPopup() on exitScene. It's not cancelling the webpopup and seems to get stuck as the next scene transitions in and ends up laying over top of the new scene it should be showing.

Long story short, something wrong with webpopups. (Was working fine in 773).
uid: 42417 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 100499

Hotaman

Hotaman
  • Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Corona SDK

@jonathan

Yep read all that before the conversion, put only creation stuff in create, put add/remover listeners and stuff in enter and exit. everything gets cleaned up correctly. No lingering refs anywhere.

I've been watching your progress with the storyboard lib since you started it waiting for it to get fleshed out and stable. I love how it works, major improvement over director! I do have some ideas I can try to see if it helps. I just ran out of time on this version but I wanted to pass on what I ran into because it seems very odd to me.

We are submitting today so I will take some time this afternoon to see if I can get the sample to do what I'm seeing. I'll put a couple of my scenes in the sample and see what happens. Maybe I can get you something simple that has the issues I'm seeing.

uid: 26049 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 100561

NettowaNinja

NettowaNinja
  • Observer

• 20 posts
  • Corona SDK

Build 783

I have an issue with the accelerometer when moving away then back to a scene.

In createScene I display an object, in enter scene I have Runtime:addEventListener("accelerometer", moveObject)which moves the object left and right on the screen, then in exit scene I have Runtime:removeEventListener("accelerometer", moveObject).

When I move to scene 2 I run storyboard.removeScene("scene1") in enterScene of scene 2. I transition to two more scenes before making my way back to scene 1.

When I load scene 1 again everything works accept Runtime:addEventListener("accelerometer", moveObject), which no longer moves the object. I don't get any errors in the simulator.

I find if i don't call storyboard.removeScene("scene1") the accelerometer continues to work.

***Update*** I apologize, there was something wrong in my code. I had an if/elseif statement that kept the object on the screen inside the moveObject function. This worked fine on the first scene but not when the scene was reloaded. Instead, I've separated keeping the object on the screen with a different runtime listener and it's works fine now.

uid: 90818 topic_id: 24131 reply_id: 101201

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 »

[/topic_controls]