[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

iPad 3 Corona Display Issue [was: Corona performance on iPad 3 Retina display, and how to implement?]
Started by Philipp Mar 07 2012 04:04 AM

- - - - -
74 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Philipp

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Dingo, sorry to hear. Would you mind pasting a copy of your game's config.lua, as well as the build.settings related to screen orientation?
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93561

schroederapps

schroederapps
  • Contributor

• 466 posts
  • Corona SDK

@PixelEnvision: It's tempting to blame the issue on iOS 5.1 instead of iOS 5, but I think it's something to do with iOS 5.1 AND Corona, as every other app on my iPad 3 displays correctly. But I have faith that our friends at Ansca will come to our aid as soon as humanly possible! :)

Unfortunately, I do think we'll be seeing a lot of app updates submitted from the Corona community in the next few weeks, and I don't see how we can correct this without submitting entirely new builds to the App Store. I just don't see Apple baking a fix for one specific SDK into a firmware update. *sigh*
uid: 27636 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93562

PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Corona SDK

I found a post from a year ago, the same problem happened on iPad1...

My problem is that the game only displays on 1/4 of the iPad screen in the lower left corner if the iPad is running iOS 4.2.1. It looks ok on iPad with iOS 3.2.

I noticed that the OpenGL surface is reported as 1024x768 on iOS 3.2 and 2048x1536 on iOS 4.2.1.

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forum/topic/12137
uid: 10478 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93563

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

Team

I have been monitoring this thread, plus inbound support and emails re: iPad retina.

The UPS truck usually delivers goodies by now. So as soon as we have the test cases going on an actual device and we do a deep dive and understand what is going on we will try to address it asap and hopefully provide you with a solution in the form of "move along nothing to see here" to new bits on the daily build. I may ask for some volunteers to help us test, specially from those of you who have devices in your hands ;-)

I want to thank you for all the information to keep providing us and reaching out to me on this.

I trust we will be fine.

c
uid: 24 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93564

PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Corona SDK

every other app on my iPad 3 displays correctly

@jasonschroeder, mine was just some ideas but nothing beats that statement anyway...
uid: 10478 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93569

schroederapps

schroederapps
  • Contributor

• 466 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks, Carlos! I knew you guys were on top of it. And in a just slightly off-topic note...

UPS just called me at my office to try and recall the 3 iPads that they delivered today (I support iOS devices at my day job, which is why I ordered several of them). Apparently Apple is none too pleased with UPS accidentally delivering the iPads early. I'm still expecting my apple.com pre-orders to arrive tomorrow via FedEx, but the ones that arrived via UPS today were ordered through my Apple small business rep. So hopefully UPS doesn't end up delaying your delivery until tomorrow, but I think being on the East coast helped me out in getting my new iPad early. Apple might have successfully shut down the early UPS deliveries on the West coast.

And of course, it goes without saying that UPS can pry these iPads from my cold, dead hands. :-)
uid: 27636 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93567

PatrickDadzio

PatrickDadzio
  • Enthusiast

• 68 posts
  • Corona SDK

I just tested 5 apps I made with corona and all of them don't display correct. Looks like the content is scaled by 4.
uid: 4589 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93736

PatrickDadzio

PatrickDadzio
  • Enthusiast

• 68 posts
  • Corona SDK

I tested on the device.
uid: 4589 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93737

PatrickDadzio

PatrickDadzio
  • Enthusiast

• 68 posts
  • Corona SDK

One of my apps actually works fine but it only uses the webview to display content and get user feedback.
uid: 4589 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93749

PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Philipp,

Putting a waring in description is a good idea... But I wouldn't worry about ratings that much... Only time window that can happen is in between now and the release of your next fixed version. And if anyone gives a low rating to the current version, probably update that rating when it's fixed...

It looks like Ansca is just waiting for their new iPad (due to receive it today?) to confirm the bug & the fix. So, I believe it should be out pretty soon...
uid: 10478 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93750

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

I've now gotten an iPad 3, and all of my 9 Corona apps are unplayable:

- Siege Towers For Two
- Free the Fobbles For Two
- Karate Girl Destruction Run
- Color Sound Machine
- Nervous Fly
- Dream Place
- The Signal
- Picture Chat
- Spikeball For Two

Hope to hear from Corona soon, thanks guys!

If I'm unlucky, this could permanently decrease my ratings -- I will include a warning at the top of the description for all my games, but sometimes people don't read that, and iPad 3 users grabbing these may be so disappointed to give 1 stars now.
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93746

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Yeah, I don't worry too much. One other thing: releasing a new version would also push away good older text reviews in the App Store (which would then become collapsed by default as they relate to an older version), as far as my experiences are. Oh well. Perhaps there's still hope for an Apple iOS fix of this (if they can somehow detect Corona and this issue), saving us from recompiling and rereleasing all our apps :)
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93751

MCgames

MCgames
  • Enthusiast

• 70 posts
  • Corona SDK

I am not home now so I cannot test this but what happens if you build for iphone only (not universal) and then open the app on the IPAD-do you get the x2 button to fill the app to the screen?
uid: 39370 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93811

Tom

Tom

• 1,480 posts
  • Corona Staff

There is more discussion of the iPad Retina issue here: http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2012/03/16/wow-resolution-incredible#comment-93808
uid: 7559 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93823

Bohumil Vosicky

Bohumil Vosicky
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Some our apps work correctly. My iPad just arrived and I tested also some our older apps. Some of them are displayed correctly (for example Basic Math with Mathaliens HD ). It's iPad only app. It looks that it depends on Corona version. I continue on testing and let you know more.
uid: 7038 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93859

keystagefun

keystagefun
  • Contributor

• 334 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi all, I'm having exactly the same problem - only the bottom left quarter of my app is displaying on the iPad 3.

** Edit - sorry just seen Carlos' post here http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2012/03/16/ipad-retina-update - will await the update & thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting in to get this sorted.

Thanks,

Ian
uid: 123492 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93867

wunderwuzzi

wunderwuzzi
  • Contributor

• 127 posts
  • Corona SDK

Okay, an update to my game is just right now being reviewed by Apple as we speak. I guess this update probably will fail their tests now, because of the issues on the iPad 3. Or will it just not be available for iPad3 but for all others?

Apple is probably doing tests for iPad3 already for a couple of months, by running existing apps I guess - so they likely have seen that there is a pattern with apps.

Any body have some data points on submission reviews that happened today? Anyone approved (generally for iPhone/iPad) even though this problem exists?

--wunderwuzzi
uid: 118947 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93891

Tom

Tom

• 1,480 posts
  • Corona Staff

See this blog post for an update on this issue: http://blog.anscamobile.com/2012/03/update-ipad-retina-display/
uid: 7559 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93909

wunderwuzzi

wunderwuzzi
  • Contributor

• 127 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks, my game was just approved by Apple. So either their QA doesn't catch this or the game works fine or they don't care... actual version number is v1.2.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/wonder-witches/id499161300?ls=1&mt=8

If someone has a iPad 3, it would be great to know how it looks there. :-S

--wunderwuzzi
uid: 118947 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93962

schroederapps

schroederapps
  • Contributor

• 466 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey everybody,

As you are going through and re-building your apps to display properly on the new iPad, don't forget to bundle a 144x144 icon in there - you'd be amazed at what a difference it makes! I posted a reminder with instructions on the forums: http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2012/03/17/hi-res-app-icons-ipad-3

Have a great weekend, everybody - and thanks Ansca for working to resolve the issue so quickly!

-Jason
uid: 27636 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93969

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

@jasonschroeder : awesome ! thanks for the tip.

Everyone, thanks for patience and for the feedback.

We will have more details and additional information in the following days.

Carlos.
uid: 24 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93977

WauloK

WauloK
  • Contributor

• 668 posts
  • Guests

Why Vector drawings can be bad:

http://www.pushing-pixels.org/2011/11/04/about-those-vector-icons.html
uid: 10389 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 94341

akao

akao
  • Contributor

• 353 posts
  • Corona SDK

Our Corona SDK game is also breaking badly.... waiting anxiously for solutions...
uid: 41124 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 94367

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Thanks for the vector vs pixel article Waulok! I wonder how many apps actually have different icon content at different sizes. I only did it for one app of mine so far (Behaviorix, where I got rid of text in a speech bubble within the icon at very small sizes, but kept it at larger ones).

Akao, please read http://blog.anscamobile.com/2012/03/update-ipad-retina-display/ for a solution!
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 94372

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

Team,

Am closing this thread and pointing everyone over to our other thread

http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2012/03/16/ipad-retina-update

Which has information about the iPad fixes/changes we did.

Thanks

Carlos.
uid: 24 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 94513

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]