[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

iPad 3 Corona Display Issue [was: Corona performance on iPad 3 Retina display, and how to implement?]
Started by Philipp Mar 07 2012 04:04 AM

- - - - -
74 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

fstrudelbenoit

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
fstrudelbenoit
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

My guess is that game will run fine but the look will be pixelated.
uid: 64835 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91959

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

thanks!

and yes, I agree. we will see :).
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91960

fstrudelbenoit

fstrudelbenoit
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Actually due to the new iPad I really think it would be usefull to have the posibility to have some kind of archive we could store file in it and unzip the file so we don't have to download 200 something files
uid: 64835 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91973

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Dingo, of course there's a huge chance you'll be fine -- or do you think Apple would introduce a new iPad that would make 99% of the iPad look bad suddenly? Your game should look just the same as it does on the iPad 2, perhaps with more vibrant colors. As soon as more and more iPad-Retina apps are released, users may *slowly* associate your app with more "pixelation" than before (because they are now so used to Retina), but that won't happen on day 1, and it's also not a huge competitive disadvantage unless every app has Retina support and your only advantage is to be an app showing off graphics.

As far as graphics and download sizes go, I wonder if there's the possibility (in Corona, or otherwise) in the future to just provide the highest-res graphics, and then have the app generate the other graphics permanently during the first run of the game, as a one-time conversion. This way you'd still have to provide the bunch of highest-res Retina graphics, but at least not the medium- and lo-res ones.

Of course, I'm not talking about the chance of a potential Corona issue, that's different. Just talking about apps in general.

003naveen, let's keep pressing thumbs then and hope it's only a simulator issue.
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91975

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Philipp: thanks! I have cooled down, sometimes people are worried too much :). we all will be fine :)
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91976

fstrudelbenoit

fstrudelbenoit
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Agree with Philips that since the screen size remains at 9.7 inch it will be keeping the graphics pretty sharp.

If they had increased the graphics to 12 inch for example we would have been in trouble.
uid: 64835 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91979

WauloK

WauloK
  • Contributor

• 668 posts
  • Guests

I'd expect as with the old stuff having a X2 button to press there will be an X4 button and the iPad can scale if it's not made specifically for it, else it can autoscale with Corona or you can use multiple assets in Corona to chose your FunkyAnimation@4x.png automatically
uid: 10389 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92083

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Blue, no, that's not what I heard. No 4x button (Apple would not do itself a favor, as it would make the iPad 3 usability worse than the iPad 2). All old apps will automatically scale to full screen (unless there's a bug in the app).
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92149

thomas6

thomas6
  • Contributor

• 975 posts
  • Corona SDK

It's kind of funny how people say that their app will look pixelated on the iPad 3. Yes, theoretically it will be pixelated or blurry due to upscaling to the new resolution, but in practice the 4 new pixels are exactly the same size of 1 old pixel, so in reality it will either look the same (if the 4 new pixels are coloured in with the same colour as the old pixel) or a bit blurred, but at such a small size that you probably won't even notice. So in short, running iPad 3 games at iPad 2 games will look good, guys, no worries. It'll be more of a "if you want to use the full res then do so, if not it's okay as well".

You know, most of my PS3 games run at 720p resolution on my 1080p screen as well, and it looks perfectly fine. So quit crying people! :-)

Cheers,
Thomas
uid: 70134 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92150

nosheet

nosheet
  • Contributor

• 149 posts
  • Corona SDK

Did anyone else tried to see how their Corona apps look in the new XCode simulator for iOS 5.1, and did you have the same problem with only a 1/4 of the screen being cropped, as Naveen ?
uid: 80100 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92166

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

@nosheet For what its worth, I tried on 3 of my Universal apps and the same thing happens on each. I also tried playing around with my config.lua and trying different scale modes. It always still only showed 1/4 of the screen.

Anyone can easily download Xcode and build for the simulator via Corona to try it out. It only takes a couple seconds (other than downloading the latest Xcode).
uid: 51654 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92198

nosheet

nosheet
  • Contributor

• 149 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks, Naveen.
Yeah actually I downloaded the latest XCode, but first I have to go through messy business of installing OSX Lion, and before that, do the Snow Leopard update and back up everything, and probably will need to reinstall Windows again, as Lion has been frequently reported, during installation process, to mess up the partition table rendering boot camp Windows partitions unusable during...
That's why I asked to see other experiences because I am not sure when I will be able to have this time available.
Every new Apple release is a consumers' joy and developers' headache :)
uid: 80100 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92201

cublah

cublah
  • Contributor

• 379 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yes my Apps are the same, either it will all be fine on the device and it's wrong on the emulator or it's broken!!
uid: 8697 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92666

cublah

cublah
  • Contributor

• 379 posts
  • Corona SDK

Further to investigation button presses happen on the screen as if it 2048x1536 but obviously the images don't scale correctly though.
uid: 8697 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92667

JayantV

JayantV
  • Corona Geek

• 1,740 posts
  • Corona SDK

Maybe it's time that we have vector drawing abilities inside of Corona to circumvent the graphic size problems. Something like SVG or like Flash, after all Ansca is co-founded by the guys that worked at Adobe.

That seems like the only resolution when we have the new Retina Desktops, etc.

Vector Graphics...
uid: 3826 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92718

glennbjr

glennbjr
  • Contributor

• 169 posts
  • Corona SDK

I like JayantV suggestion. Makes sense. SVG is an open format so it can be done. Wait it can be done and the code for android and ios is free and here https://github.com/micahpearlman/MonkVG

uid: 38820 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 92737

PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just tested this on retina ipad emulator and I can confirm it's the same for my app too...

Screen coordinates (touch locations) appears to be intact, but images (except the default png) scaled up and showing 1/4 (bottom-left)...
uid: 10478 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93108

PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Corona SDK

Follow-up... I did few more tests...

Xcode Simulator - iOS 5.1 - iPad (Retina) = Scaling & cropping problem
Xcode Simulator - iOS 5.0 - iPad (Retina) = Works OK

Returned coordinates were ok in both cases. So, I assume that's either simulator or 5.1 problem.
uid: 10478 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93271

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

We are experiencing the same thing. We are waiting for our devices (which suppose to arrive today) to test on and see what is really going on.

more details, blog, forum post to follow.

c
uid: 24 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93308

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Thanks Carlos. Looking forward to the post.

And if it's showing wrongly on the device, then I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks of work to get my several apps iPad-3-ready :) Or perhaps Apple could offer an iOS hot-fix by analyzing if the app is Corona-made, and then adjusting accordingly... after all they should have an interest as much as us to have apps run smoothly on iPad 3. Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait for now!
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93347

schroederapps

schroederapps
  • Contributor

• 466 posts
  • Corona SDK

Just got my iPad 3 and can confirm that the issues PixelEnvision reported are happening on-device:

"Screen coordinates (touch locations) appears to be intact, but images (except the default png) scaled up and showing 1/4 (bottom-left)"

UPDATE: I can confirm that this is happening with an iPad-only app, so it's not an issue that is necessarily related to universal builds or dynamic scaling - the app is question didn't utilize "@2x" images. It was created for a 1024x768 canvas. Don't know if that helps or not, but thought I'd mention it.
uid: 27636 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93542

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@jason: can you drop me a mail info AT digidingo.com? I can send you a promo code, so you could try our universal build. that would be nice! (if you dont own Grooh yet)
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93547

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Thanks for the updates! If anyone wants to test with iPad-only game Siege Towers For Two (free: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/siege-towers-for-two/id423691021), here are its build and config files. I'll be buying an iPad 3 tomorrow and will check.

build.settings:

settings =  {
    orientation = {
        default = "landscapeRight",
        supported = {
            "landscapeLeft",
            "landscapeRight",
        },
    },

content = {
        fps = 30,
        antialias = false,
    },

iphone = {
        plist = {
            UIStatusBarHidden = true,
            UIPrerenderedIcon = true,
            CFBundleIdentifier = "com.versuspad.siegetowers",
        },
    },

}

config.lua:

application =  {

content = { 
        width = 768,
        height = 1024, 
        scale = "letterbox"
    }

}
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93550

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Jason: thanks for giving it a try.

well...

it's screwed on the ipad3.
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93551

PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision
  • Contributor

• 305 posts
  • Corona SDK

My test app was also universal, using @2x scheme and stuff...

The strange thing is it's working fine on iOS 5.0 + retina ipad simulator. But obviously that's not possible on actual devices.. and I think it's clear now that 5.1 causing this, not the simulator...

I'm curious if that's a bug or a feature of 5.1... First case might have a global fix in 5.1.1 but later needs recompile with updated corona I'm afraid...
uid: 10478 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 93557

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]