[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

iPad 3 Corona Display Issue [was: Corona performance on iPad 3 Retina display, and how to implement?]
Started by Philipp Mar 07 2012 04:04 AM

- - - - -
74 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Philipp

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

Dear Corona team and everyone else who knows -- I know this might be too early to ask but does anyone already have educated guesses about what performance we can expect if we start building games with native iPad 3 Retina support, now that Apple announced their 2048x1536 pixels, chip-times-4-speed iPad?

TouchArcade report
Officiel Apple site
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 322975

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

... And how would we implement this best, I mean which naming conventions (say @4) and dynamic scaling build settings etc.?
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91753

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

I suspect you would still name your graphics @2x if you were already building for 1024x768. If you were building for 512x384 and using @2x graphics for the iPad and iPhone 4 and you still want to support the 3Gs's out there, then yea, @4x would make sense.
uid: 19626 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91760

fstrudelbenoit

fstrudelbenoit
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

Am I the only one thinking that going higher than 1080p on an 9.7 inch screen will be a lost of file size ?

Anyway hope well be able to test it on the simulator soon :)
uid: 64835 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91762

richard9

richard9
  • Corona Geek

• 1,118 posts
  • Enterprise

Apparently they already confirmed the OTA app download limit is now going up to 50MB, which should help...
uid: 41884 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91775

@RSCdev

@RSCdev
  • Corona Geek

• 1,489 posts
  • Corona SDK

Guys,

What to do if I have my assets now made for 320x480 (iPhone 3GS) and 960x640 (iPhone 4 and iPad) and am using the @2x in my code to tell it to set the assets as per device resolution. BUT how about the new iPad? How to get it done without much "pain" and many extra megabytes? o.O
Thanks,
Rodrigo.
uid: 89165 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91819

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

You can setup another scale factor in config.lua. Make the scale factor 4.0, and the image suffix would be @4x. That's what I plan on doing.

For everyone:

I tried running my current universal app (iPhone + iPad) in the new Retina iPad Simulator provided by Apple, and it doesn't scale properly. I'm guessing this is an issue with Corona, since it should at least be shown properly.

Here's my config:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3371101/coronaipadconfig.tiff

And here's what the result looks like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3371101/coronaipadscale.tiff

It seems like it's only showing 1/4 of the full screen, which kinda makes sense since the retina iPad is 4x the resolution, but shouldn't the whole screen be shown right now? I don't understand why its not scaling to fit the screen properly. Scaling works properly on all other devices (regular iPhone, retina iPhone, regular iPad).
uid: 51654 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91820

@RSCdev

@RSCdev
  • Corona Geek

• 1,489 posts
  • Corona SDK

@003naven, thanks for that!
uid: 89165 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91821

Omnigeek Media

Omnigeek Media
  • Corona Geek

• 2,975 posts
  • Corona SDK

Well the iPad is likely using your @1x assets and resing them up. So with no changes your @2x assets should be used on the new iPad
uid: 19626 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91822

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

I realize that, but it shouldn't only be showing 1/4 of the full screen. It seems like it's something done internally that causes this.

If I run a retina iPhone app and I don't have retina assets, the screen still scales but the graphics are low res. The same thing should happen with a regular iPad and retina iPad. Corona is *not* scaling it properly though.
uid: 51654 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91823

@RSCdev

@RSCdev
  • Corona Geek

• 1,489 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hey @Rob, thanks for the clarification.

BTW am less afraid of having only the 960x640 (@2 set done) and it being resized automatic for the iPad 3. :\
uid: 89165 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91832

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

soon....
c
uid: 24 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91853

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

I tried running my current universal app (iPhone + iPad) in the new Retina iPad Simulator provided by Apple, and it doesn't scale properly. I'm guessing this is an issue with Corona, since it should at least be shown properly.

Please tell me I don't need to resubmit all my Corona apps... please tell me I don't need to resubmit all my Corona apps... please tell me I don't need to resubmit all my Corona apps... :)
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91917

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

It seems like were all going to have LOTS of unhappy customers next Friday, unless we get an iPad Retina compatible Daily Build by tomorrow. We'd need at least a week to get our app reviewed/approved...

Everyone who has an iPad app in the App Store will have this same scaling issue where players only see 1/4 of the screen.
uid: 51654 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91922

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Carlos: do i get that right: if i have an app in the appstore, iphone and ipad (universal)... people with the new ipad3 wont be able to download the game?

since we want to do a special version for the ipad3...

thanks!
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91927

Philipp

Philipp
  • Contributor

• 406 posts
  • Enterprise

003naveen, are you perfectly sure it's not just a simulator issue, and then it happens on the device too, and for every app/ configuration?

I have 9 iPad Corona apps in the app store, changing all of them due to this would be quite some work in terms of recompiling and resubmitting (also considering that some things in Corona might have changed in the meantime, so the app might not work the exact same as say a year ago when I compiled it tested it). I always figured that Corona's dynamic scaling specifically meant it would work fine on bigger screens.
uid: 10284 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91925

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Philipp

I tested on Apple's own simulator, and it doesn't scale properly for retina iPad. The scaling works perfectly for regular iPhone, retina iPhone, and regular iPad. The retina iPad is the only one that doesn't scale properly (at least in Apple's simulator). Hopefully it's just a bug, and it works on-device, but I don't think so since the simulator is able to scale to all other devices perfectly. I also thought the dynamic content scaling would work automatically, and that it would just use the regular iPad assets for the retina iPad. But it seems like an internal Corona issue that's causing it not to scale properly.

I *really* hope I'm wrong about this, and it's just a simulator issue, but I'm hesitant to think that because it scales for all other devices perfectly (in Apple's simulator).

@dingo

People will be able to download your app for their iPad 3. It's just like regular iPhone and retina iPhone. It'll use the higher res graphics if possible, otherwise it'll drop down to lower res graphics. It *will* still be able to run though. There's no way to restrict it from the iPad 3. That's why I was saying we need a new daily build ASAP, otherwise our apps won't be scaling properly next friday.
uid: 51654 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91942

carlos m. icaza

carlos m. icaza
  • Corona Geek

• 2,992 posts
  • Alumni

Team

Easy there. We are working on addressing *any* if any issues arises out of the new iPad3.

Hold your reins and when we figure things out, you will be the first to know. How many times do I need to say this ;-)

Its not like this just landed on our lap and we are like "huh". I know IL1 is around the corner from us, but is not like I can just walk in there... ;-)

In the meantime, keep working on your games, and we will work out any "intricacies" of the device.

This also reminds me of when the first iPad shipped. We only had the Apple simulator, yet, some of the apps were submitted in 24 hour timeframe and it worked flawlessly. So.... hold on... ;-)

Your favorite co-founder

C
uid: 24 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91946

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@003naveen: thanks for the clarification. I actually would love to prevent people from download our app, because we want to do a special version for the ipad3. I think the game will look like crap with our iphone4 retina gfx scaled up.

is there really no chance to exclude them from downloading? i guess not!?

this is scary!
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91947

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Carlos: my post crossed yours, sorry for that!

You know i do love you carlos! Its just... i wanted to submit an update today, should i still go for that? what's your advice mister C?

I am sure you guys will fix all for us, we do not doubt about that. it's just about our timing now :)
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91950

naveen_pcs

naveen_pcs
  • Contributor

• 266 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Carlos

Was just trying to make other devs aware of this. I'm sure you guys are working on getting it up and running :)

@dingo

Just add another scale factor in your config.lua? The same way you define @2x graphics, just do the same thing for @4x?

So it would look something like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3371101/coronaipadconfig.tiff

Except underneath the @2x line, you would do the same thing except it would be 4.0 and @4x instead of 2.0 and @2x. Then your app will need to have 3 sets of resolutions (regular iPhone, retina iPhone, and retina iPad). It'll look perfect on all devices then :)
uid: 51654 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91952

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@naveen: thanks for that, but this is my issue! i know that it would work, but that means i need to included in my new build gfx for the ipad3, which means doing 200 spritesheets with hires gfx. what results in a huge filesize. over the air not possible. and so on :)

that's why we wanted to do a special ipad3 version. but this is not possible i guess. so we really might have to do the whole game in hires...

or we just leave it as it is, and our retina gfx will get scaled up. might still look ok i guess?
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91953

fstrudelbenoit

fstrudelbenoit
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

@dingo: I would add an option do download high resolution file to the game if the game is an iPad3 and use those file instead of the low resolution. That pretty much what I'm thinking to do for my game.

Not sure how I will implement this.. but I was thinking of adding an xml file with a complete file list and download each file and put them into the document directory... ( this is all in my head )
uid: 64835 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91955

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@fstrudel: yes, something like this. but what came to my mind now: i guess all the ipad apps run fine on the ipad3? since now 1 pixel actually is 4 on the new display, they could simply use 4 instead of 1, so old games still look ok? since the size of the screen is the same? I mean they want the games to run well on the ipad3 too i guess? :)

...so we might have no problems at all. and if i want to have hires stuff, i could put them into, dynamic scaling of ansca will do the rest.

...I guess we are fine then?
uid: 90610 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91956

fstrudelbenoit

fstrudelbenoit
  • Observer

• 29 posts
  • Corona SDK

@dingo:

_scale = tonumber(string.format("%." .. (1) .. "f", 1/display.contentScaleY))

if _scale == 1 then
_documentCheck = system.ResourceDirectory
elseif _scale == 2 then
_documentCheck = system.DocumentsDirectory
end
local myDynamicImage = display.newImageRect( "Untitled1.png", _documentCheck , 100, 100 ) 

Untitled1.png is in system.ResourceDirectory
and
Untitled1@2x.png is in system.DocumentsDirectory

and it working perfectly
uid: 64835 topic_id: 22975 reply_id: 91958

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]