Hi all, here's what we do know in terms of Android performance:
* We have not seen the 32-bit color causing the slowdown to the degree that has been reported, so we do not believe that this is the issue.
* Some Android devices do not ship with hardware-accelerated OpenGL. Those devices could run in software-emulation which was slow (even though they claim to "support" OpenGL). We have added code that requires hardware acceleration in the most recent daily builds.
* We found a big audio performance hotspot on Android that caused the CPU to spike even while backgrounded. This caused people to incorrectly believe that the new sprite API was slow, when in reality it was an audio issue on Android. We've found a workaround to this issue that's in the latest daily builds.
To echo, what Tom said, what would really help is some more data that we can look at systematically. We get sporadic reports and it's really hard to compare when it's an apples-to-oranges comparison instead of an apples-to-apples comparison.
So... Here's what would really help. For those of you seeing performance degradation, can you provide us with the following data:
* Tell us which Android devices you are seeing the slowdown on.
* Give us a concrete comparison point, i.e. how many fps did you get on daily build X and what did it drop to on build Y.
* Give us test code that we can reproduce the slowdown with on those daily builds.
* Bonus points if you can tell us on what precise daily build the performance started (e.g. on daily build 5 it was 30 fps but on the next daily build, 6, it dropped to 15 fps).
uid: 26 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 111588