[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Performance degradation in the new public release
Started by pedro.perina Dec 11 2011 08:09 PM

- - - - -
66 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

peach pellen

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
peach pellen
  • Corona Geek

• 8,866 posts
  • Alumni

762 is definitely up now, just checked the list :)
uid: 52491 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 91655

cleversons

cleversons
  • Observer

• 23 posts
  • Corona SDK

Thanks!
Tested on 762. No changes when running on Xoom.
uid: 79136 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 91693

nygard.stefan

nygard.stefan
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Corona SDK

I'm currently testing on a HTC Desire (not HD), and I too notice a major decrease in performance when using Corona build >= 643 (I'm currently using [CoronaSDK 2012.775]). In my testcase im moving a small "box" across the screen using physics set to kinematic.

Any new about making the 32-bit color support optional?
uid: 94949 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 97335

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

am I the only one still fighting performance on android?

I even used the 480*320 gfx on my samsung galaxy II, and performance still is horrible. and it was great some time ago.

what's the problem here?
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 103466

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

anyone? am I the only one still facing this issue?

the new sprite api didnt help at all.
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107868

RicardoGraca

RicardoGraca
  • Contributor

• 190 posts
  • Corona SDK

Sometimes Android performance is worse than iOS with Corona. That's a fact, even with similar hardware. Wether it's a driver issue on the device or a Corona issue I don't know.
uid: 61899 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107870

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

the thing is, with the previous build performance has been great - but now not at all.

In the simulator, texture memory is fine (< 8mb), but i cant even play it on my samsung galaxy II.
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107871

RicardoGraca

RicardoGraca
  • Contributor

• 190 posts
  • Corona SDK

What about program memory? If it's over 1,5MB it could be the cause of the slowness when running on the device.
uid: 61899 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107873

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

I need to check on that, thanks!

BUT... it has worked fine. Smooth. And i haven't touched the game. it's a pitty.
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107874

Danny

Danny
  • Corona Geek

• 2,597 posts
  • Corona Staff

@Dingo: Have you tested with the latest daily build? (819) there have been performance enhancements for android apps/games that make use of our openal audio engine
uid: 84637 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107894

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@danny: yes I did, but still the same. i will give it a try again!
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 107897

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

am i still the only one??

can someone from ansca tell me why the sudden performance drop is happening??

is it due to the 32bit support? if so, is there a way to deactivate it?
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 111301

cleversons

cleversons
  • Observer

• 23 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi dingo,

No, you are not alone here. We also noticed that our game is slower on Android in the daily builds. We are afraid that the next public release will kill us on Android. I really hope they manage to fix this.
uid: 79136 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 111326

Tom

Tom

• 1,480 posts
  • Corona Staff

We really need more information about the problems and what daily builds work and don't work. Think about it from the point of view that you are the one who has to figure out what the problem is. What information would you need to look at the problem? We don't change code to make things slow down. We change code to add new features, fix bugs or to improve performance.

We did made some changes to the image code to fix issues with Nook and some low-end Android devices. We also switched the image display from 16 bits to 32 bits because users were complaining about the quality of the displayed graphics. This seemed to cause performance problems on some low-end devices.

There are so many Android devices with different hardware and performance levels, and it's tough making changes that work across all devices. What makes it worst is we don't have all the possible Android devices to test on (nobody does).

The best thing to do is file a bug report with sample code demonstrating the problem along with build numbers that work and don't work and the devices affected. We have addressed performance issues in the past when the bug was presented with a reproducible test case.

You will see performance problems more on Android than iOS because Apple drops support for the older, slower devices. There are so many Android devices and many are underpowered to handle a large number of graphics or keep up the frame rate. Trying to support everything is a delicate balancing act.
uid: 7559 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 111567

walter

walter

• 726 posts
  • Alumni

Hi all, here's what we do know in terms of Android performance:

* We have not seen the 32-bit color causing the slowdown to the degree that has been reported, so we do not believe that this is the issue.
* Some Android devices do not ship with hardware-accelerated OpenGL. Those devices could run in software-emulation which was slow (even though they claim to "support" OpenGL). We have added code that requires hardware acceleration in the most recent daily builds.
* We found a big audio performance hotspot on Android that caused the CPU to spike even while backgrounded. This caused people to incorrectly believe that the new sprite API was slow, when in reality it was an audio issue on Android. We've found a workaround to this issue that's in the latest daily builds.

To echo, what Tom said, what would really help is some more data that we can look at systematically. We get sporadic reports and it's really hard to compare when it's an apples-to-oranges comparison instead of an apples-to-apples comparison.

So... Here's what would really help. For those of you seeing performance degradation, can you provide us with the following data:

* Tell us which Android devices you are seeing the slowdown on.
* Give us a concrete comparison point, i.e. how many fps did you get on daily build X and what did it drop to on build Y.
* Give us test code that we can reproduce the slowdown with on those daily builds.
* Bonus points if you can tell us on what precise daily build the performance started (e.g. on daily build 5 it was 30 fps but on the next daily build, 6, it dropped to 15 fps).

thanks!
walter
uid: 26 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 111588

dingo

dingo
  • Contributor

• 700 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Tom, @Walter:

first of all, thanks for your statements. its obvious that you can't tell us right now where the problem lies. and we didn't expect that.

since it has been a while, I need to work it all up. I try to put it down as exact as possible for you guys. and I suggest that all the others in this thread do the same.

I will post here or mail directly to Walter.

Thanks for listening guys!
uid: 90610 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 111611

israelazo

israelazo
  • Observer

• 2 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi

i'm testing in a Samsung Galaxy S2 and i'm noticing an important performance drop in the latest releases. There is something you did that makes the rendering (or something else) to spend more resources.

thanks!
uid: 57131 topic_id: 19009 reply_id: 115474

[topic_controls]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]