[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Jetrats Defense - Hit 100k Downloads
Started by Jadynut Nov 26 2011 05:25 PM

60 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

Jadynut

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@KenRogoway Thank you very much! hope you had lots of fun in it.
@chengshuwan wow...thank you very much! also hope that. but i think that should be very very hard..

Merry Christmas everyone!
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 75686

ldb.steven

ldb.steven
  • Enthusiast

• 71 posts
  • Corona SDK

Looks really good :) Hope you guys do well. This is one of the most well made game i have seen done on Corona by far. I like the theme as well. Maybe you can try to post it to some game review sites and ask them to review it. Might help. ;) Good luck!!!
uid: 39846 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 75938

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi ldb.steven,

Thank you very much! appreciate you think this's a good game.

We have sent about 20 email to several review sites weeks ago, but almost get no reply, some of them replied me but they want me to buy Ad on their site, even have site told me they decline to review this game.

The rate about the game even not enough to be shown. Really weird situation, not sure if we did anything wrong.

(@dingo Thanks for your nice review :) )

Maybe because Dec is a big holiday for most countries. we will try to send to another sites after this holiday.
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 75953

guruk

guruk
  • Contributor

• 790 posts
  • Corona SDK

was interested to download the free version, as you did say .. free till end of dec.
Look you already did set up back to 1.99$

As I have several apps in the market, I just can advice, you do a paid AND a free version.
I had paid apps, that where low in sales, made an extra free app. The free app with Ads made overall in longterm even more income.. and through the free app, the paid app also got more sales.

You could also do a press release and sent it through one of that press services to a ton of press portals (helped me even once a lot)

Its really try and error... just DO NEVER GIVE UP :)

You GFX is very nice and I am quiet sure with some more talk about it, you will have your success

greets
chris
uid: 4795 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76615

KenRogoway

KenRogoway
  • Contributor

• 272 posts
  • Corona SDK

@guruk,

For level based games, what do you recommend is the best approach for adding in ads to make a free version. Is an add between each level too much? How about an ad after every 5 levels?

I'd love to hear your real world experience with Ad revenue.
uid: 16734 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76625

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@guruk
well sorry about that, we intend to do that, but we decided to set the price back to see if we could get any hit in the holiday, however did not have the luck.

Thank you very much for your advice! yeah i agree with you a free version could be help, i have get started to do it :)

And thank you for your encouraging words! i'm also working on the iPhone version, hope the situation could be better after we finished it, since i think the user amount of iPhone are quite larger than iPad.

about the 'press release' i do not quite know about that, what's the difference with a review request?

Thanks
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76652

guruk

guruk
  • Contributor

• 790 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Sun.Jiajie

for one of my apps "Talk with Chippy" I also did sent several infos to Review Sites, there was only one, and they also charged.
http://www.theiphoneappreview.com/2010/04/talk-with-chippy/

than I also did a press release and promoted it through
http://www.flashnewsrelease.com/
they do charge not so much and it was on lots of pages, as you even see here:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22talk+with+chippy%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Also my experience was that my apps came downloaded lots more on iOS Devices.
Only one from 10 did better on Android.

And yes, iPhone Apps are also lots more downloaded than iPad apps.
Did you made the GFX yourself or in Order? I ask, because I am not as good in gfx and could need a Designer, also I don't know how much one would charge to do some graphics.

In the Moment you will have a free app (even just with one level) I would download immediately and give it a change. Right now

you did say, less downloads, can you give any numbers per day, paid/free, just to get an idea?

chris

uid: 4795 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76663

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@guruk

The Chippy looks cute!
Now i get some idea about the press release thanks.

We worked with freelancer on this project, we listed the artwork and how it should looks like, then paid the works after they finished.

The charges are quite different, on average the artist work at around $30 per hour.

For the downloads, maybe you will be surprised
While Free: 4000 downloads per day on average
While Paid: 5 downloads per day on average
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76759

darkconsoles

darkconsoles
  • Contributor

• 795 posts
  • Guests

frankly im shocked about low sales number, i was expected something close to 1000 paid at least(or 10 000 ) )
maybe people dont like rats?
uid: 16142 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76762

darkconsoles

darkconsoles
  • Contributor

• 795 posts
  • Guests

wow, thats a big list of missing features
i guess next time you will do better)
uid: 16142 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76771

jeff472

jeff472
  • Contributor

• 391 posts
  • Corona SDK

No free version is not a missing feature.
Im not sure that 'big title' counts for much either: who heard of Rovio before Angry Birds took off?

Its a comment on the prices people want to pay for an app on a phone. i.e. nothing.

Only Apple's restrictive licensing means that anyone gets paid upfront for an app : if all phones were jailbroken or open , no-one would buy anything.

If you have an app that lends itself to adverts, yes, you can make money that way.
But my goodness, some people overdo it.
I downloaded the free version of an app mentioned in these forums yesterday (see: Im no better!) and while its a good game, I gave up after a short while because I couldn't take any more ads.
Some of the obscure the gameplay, and then theres near-full page stuff that pops up over everything. If you don't have a good internet connection, the whole thing crawls while the ads download.
No doubt the no-ad version doesn't suffer from this, but my experience has already been spoiled.
uid: 108660 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76773

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

Happy new year everyone! I just post 20 promo codes in the 1st post. Have Fun! :)
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76967

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

Yeah we also felt disappointed. We think the reasons caused the current low sales situation are:

-- no review from review sites
-- no app rate
-- we are indie not big title (EDIT: yeah, i agree this should not be the issue)
-- ipad only (iphone version is in dev)
-- no free version (EDIT: we are woking on this now also. a free version will be always useful)
-- no marketing
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76768

KenRogoway

KenRogoway
  • Contributor

• 272 posts
  • Corona SDK

@Sun,

There's a good reason that Apple won't let people release sales figures.

The sad reality is that very few games sell great numbers. Apple doesn't want developers to know typical sales figures because they would lose a lot of developers. Even 500 sales over a few months times 300,000 developers means some decent revenue from them. Then add in the few games that sell really well and they make a lot more from that.

In order to get reasonable sales you have to at least have a few reviews. And having a great game helps a lot too :)

I would suspect your game would get a huge jump in sales if you got a couple of reviews and some press. You definitely have really good art and good game play so with some marketing you should do okay. But 10,000 units seems a bit high.

I know of 3 development houses (actual teams of mobile developers that range from 8 to 20 people) and they have all struggled to make it financially in the mobile market. They have all had to supplement their income by doing contracts. For one development group this paid of nicely because it kept them alive long enough to get a project out that was a BIG hit. I cannot say what the game is, but it is getting 500,000 daily views and is a Freemium style game so they make money off the in-app purchases.

Don't let ANY of the above deter you from finding every possible way to promote and push your game. You CAN make money at it, just don't expect to get rich off one game. Use what you learn from this project and apply it to your next game. And definitely make sure you address as many of the "missing" items that you yourself called out.
uid: 16734 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76970

jeff472

jeff472
  • Contributor

• 391 posts
  • Corona SDK

Ive taken one of your codes and downloaded the game.
I like it a lot.
Yes, I agree: the money you spent on the graphics has made the game look and feel much better than it would have done with spinning globes or simple boxes.

The area you have on an iPad makes the game easier to see too.
I don't think I can review after using a promo code, though.

The music is pretty good too, and if I had downloaded it without a code I would consider it good value.

It will do better as an iPhone app.
If you want some balanced feedback, the instructions are clearly written by someone whose first language is not English.
They are understandable, but 'strange', if you see what I mean.

(If you would like them checked over , I would be happy to do that for you)
uid: 108660 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76975

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

--------------------------------------------
@KenRogoway

Thanks very much for your advice! after read you post we have a better understanding about the market.

Like most of other Corona users, this's our first work, and we learned a lot from this project, now we believe the situation will be getting better and better. :)

--------------------------------------------
@jeff472

Hi thank you for downloaded the game!

Actually, we always want to get some feedback about the instructions, since that was written by us (and we speak chinese) :)

Really appreciate you would like to help us, you could send me the copy to jadynut@gmail.com if you checked them over.

Thank you very much again! if you (or anyone) need any help about Chinese, please feel free to drop us a line, we would be happy to help too!
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76978

NuclearResearch.net

NuclearResearch.net
  • Enthusiast

• 67 posts
  • Corona SDK

This is a nice game indeed, I think the iphone version will help. Good luck!

On the marketing side, you simply need putting your effort daily and bombing as many review sites as possible in order to gain exposure. Your game is strong enough and deserves attention, no one will be upset.

As for the market and its brother contracting, I agree the latter is the way to make a steady, decent income and keep you afloat while pursuing the big hit.
uid: 67641 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 76995

jeff472

jeff472
  • Contributor

• 391 posts
  • Corona SDK

Revised messages and App Store description sent by email.
I hope they are useful!
uid: 108660 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77005

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@RAoM_games

Thank you very much!
We did send lots of emails to review sites, but didn't get any reply, maybe they are on holiday. so we will try to send again later of Jan.
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77021

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

@jeff472

Received the mail, the descriptions are fantastic! felt very exciting while reading it, just like reading a story!

Big Thanks to you!
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77022

Jadynut

Jadynut
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

We just got a customer review who downloaded by promo code.
(We thought customer downloaded by promo code can not leave a review.)

SO please consider to leave us a rate and review if you like this game, that will be help us a lot! Thank you very much!

Happy new year everyone!
uid: 74676 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77024

guruk

guruk
  • Contributor

• 790 posts
  • Corona SDK

Hi Sun.Jiajie

looks great to see such a lot of nice advices.

Anyhow, as I mentioned before, just do not give app.
I have quiet lots of apps in the market and its ALWAYS a surprise how ppl accept and download it.

I had some titles I really thought they will be great, and nobody like em, other apps I did more like a test, people loved.

its really kind a ... do 10 apps and 1 will be accepted.

So do whats possible to improve your marketing for that app (for example.. the iCon you used does not say anything to me)..... and finally keep going and focus on your next project.

chris
uid: 4795 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77033

iNSERT.CODE

iNSERT.CODE
  • Contributor

• 105 posts
  • Corona SDK

Looks awesome. Congratulations.

Just taken 9XAFATETF79J by the away thanks.
uid: 74503 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77035

coynage

coynage
  • Enthusiast

• 39 posts
  • Guests

HXWA3HNJ6HTF taken; thank you!
uid: 24493 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77040

@RSCdev

@RSCdev
  • Corona Geek

• 1,489 posts
  • Corona SDK

Let`s evaluate the Rats!

Took the code: RLLA7MTLELL7
Thank you and I wish you the best mate. If possible to make a review via your promocode I`ll do that surely. ;)
Happy 2012 and Great Sales!
Cheers,
Rodrigo.
uid: 89165 topic_id: 18277 reply_id: 77044

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]