[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Do you plan to release a Windows version of the Corona SDK ?
Started by fishnpix Jun 24 2009 10:23 PM

- - - - -
60 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

OderWat

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
OderWat
  • Contributor

• 347 posts
  • Corona SDK

@AlanBourke ... Did you saw this? http://blog.tweetdeck.com/android-ecosystem ...

I am going to stay away from that mess and concentrate on the >100 million devices with predictable hard- and software standards and "one Store". But that is just me :)
uid: 6928 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 8696

AlanBourke

AlanBourke
  • Observer

• 10 posts
  • Guests

Yeah, I saw that, and if you actually read it you'll see that of all the versions of Android there, over 100 of them are homebrew builds which I frankly would disregard completely. 99% of the users on that are using official 1.6, 2.1 or 2.2. And the Tweetdeck people were also at pains to point out that the different Android platforms and phones were not that much of a big deal - it was other people who went into panic mode.

So - I have nothing against the iPhone or developing for it but until I am in the position to spend a stack of cash on a Mac and so on solely for mobile development, it would be great and sensible to have even a Linux version of Corona.

uid: 10451 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 8703

OderWat

OderWat
  • Contributor

• 347 posts
  • Corona SDK

I am not against an Windows Version of Corona for Android OS ...

But I am much more for the missing SSL or Async HTTP Support and more "Native iOS" Elements in the first place... this has sole selfish reasons and this is part of why I pay(ed) for corona... giving me the tool to create great and competitive iPhone Apps at a time as it could not even compile any real application for Android ...

In addition I do not believe into Android as my market yet! This is the old "low hanging fruits" symptom... Yeah it may grow in market share.. but nobody "protects" my investments as good as Apple did the last years to me!
uid: 6928 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 8705

Steffen Itterheim

Steffen Itterheim
  • Observer

• 5 posts
  • Guests

Just to add to this conversation regarding Windows & "can't submit Apps": there's the DragonFire SDK which promises to allow iPhone development on Windows. I think they achieve that through a web interface. If they did it, it's not completely unthinkable. But I can't imagine right now the hoops they (or the developers) have to jump through in order to make this possible.
uid: 10479 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 8808

grimesj

grimesj
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

Just registered and downloaded the SDK as there was absolutely nothing in the user journey which indicated I would need to be on a mac. Understand the situation but would have thought that there would be a Windows version for Android development.
uid: 10546 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 8898

MarkHenryC

MarkHenryC
  • Contributor

• 181 posts
  • Corona SDK

The idea's fine in principle, since the compiling seems to be done at the server end, but IMHO Anscar has more urgent issues to attend to.

I, like others I know who wanted to jump on the iOS bandwagon, bought a Mac for the purpose. It's not such a big thing. And if you have any familiarity with Unix you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I would not like to see valuable resources tied up porting to - and maintaining - another OS.
uid: 3953 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 8938

AlanBourke

AlanBourke
  • Observer

• 10 posts
  • Guests

Well, two grand for a Mac on top of the Apple fees and whatever Corona costs per month may or may not be a big deal depending on your circumstances. However I have no interest in developing for iOS and I still think Corona is severely limiting its potential audience here.
uid: 10451 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 9023

Xaron

Xaron
  • Observer

• 3 posts
  • Guests

I totally agree. I think I'd buy this SDK as soon as it comes for Windows. To purchase a Mac is no option for me. It IS possible to create iPhone Apps under windows, just look at the DragonFire SDK and/or Airplay SDK.
uid: 11180 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 10669

guitar74

guitar74
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

Ok, Screw Apple, I want to make Android Apps, that has nothing to do with apple, so why do I need a mac to make android apps?
uid: 15472 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 16876

dJomba

dJomba
  • Observer

• 2 posts
  • Guests

Windows version will be very welcome! I have a good pc, a android phone and i want to make games for android market. I dont want to buy a mac to do android games.
uid: 13040 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 16885

newbie101

newbie101
  • Contributor

• 108 posts
  • Corona SDK

apple only doesnt want the programming language not the OS, with that said, check out Airplay SDK, I came from there until I realized: C++ sucks monkey's dangling balls, also I had to write my own sprite module to animate stuff.
uid: 11334 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 16886

bmaston

bmaston
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

Totally interested in a Windows version.. I see this thread has been going on for some time now.
Hopefully some decisions have been made and work being done towards this goal.
Especially with the big news break Corona just got with that 14 year old developer.
uid: 15613 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 16898

imaginaryfriend14

imaginaryfriend14
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

I would like a windows version, since I don't have a mac, and since they are quite out of my price range, it would be great to have a windows version!!
uid: 16081 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 16930

Baboon

Baboon
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

I'd like to see a Linux version. I'm interested in Android development only, really not an Apple person, so don't care about compiling iOS versions. It looks a very nice tool just for Android apps.
uid: 18066 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17034

whisperjet

whisperjet
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

Would license in a second if it were ported to Windows - seems like kind of a no-brainer - why not capture your market while you're hot?
uid: 18351 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17061

AtlasRedux

AtlasRedux
  • Observer

• 3 posts
  • Guests

I don't care about the bloody iPhone, I want it for the Android functionality.
I avoid most Apple-products like the plague ( except the iPad ).
So yes, give a Windows binary, and please compile an x64 as well if easily doable.
Also, Mac's are stupidly overpriced compared to hardware.
uid: 19037 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17112

LuckiiClover Labs

LuckiiClover Labs
  • Enthusiast

• 89 posts
  • Corona SDK

Personally I use Mac, Windoze, and Linux. I would like Corona on all three. Linux seems to have great open source support for graphics and code editors so it should be a great platform. When the project is done I could push it over to Mac from one of the other platforms and finalize it there.
uid: 7197 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17152

Plasma

Plasma
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

I would love a version of Corona for Windows. I just signed up for Corona, only to discover I need a Mac. As others have said, why should you need a Mac to create Android apps?

Also, if I could use Corona on my Windows machine, then when I was done I could finish it on a friend's Mac if I wanted to post it in the App store. No need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a Mac, which I don't want anyway.

Thanks!
uid: 21860 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17358

AtlasRedux

AtlasRedux
  • Observer

• 3 posts
  • Guests

Completely agree with derwydd, if I can't get a Win binary, at least a Linux version would be awesome.
uid: 19037 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17390

doubleslashdesign

doubleslashdesign
  • Contributor

• 727 posts
  • Corona SDK

Let me say this in very simple terms, having a windows version would be fantastic, wonderful, great, super duper, did i say fantastic?

Plus think about it most developers use windows not mac os, so you would open up to many more developers..

hmmm wait that's more people for us to compete with - forget it don't add windows... lol
uid: 11860 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17401

tadu

tadu
  • Observer

• 1 posts
  • Guests

HI, I´d like a windows version not for my android, just for any kind of mobile: android, iphone, rim....even nokia: something real crossplatfrom. Is it possible?? Is it phonegap or flash/air?
uid: 23403 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17620

AlanBourke

AlanBourke
  • Observer

• 10 posts
  • Guests

You won't be developing for iPhone without a Mac - the Apple iOS SDK requires it and I doubt that situation will ever change. And that's fair enough. However Corona allows you to target Android as well, so the fact that the tools are Mac only strikes me as limiting for Ansca Mobile, they could be reaching so many more developers. Doubly so given the lack of decent games on Droid.
uid: 10451 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17623

Xaron

Xaron
  • Observer

• 3 posts
  • Guests

Well Alan, that's not completely true. Both DragonFireSDK and AirplaySDK work fine with Windows and can create iPhone apps.
uid: 11180 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17745

tmbrye

tmbrye
  • Observer

• 13 posts
  • Corona SDK

I will also say a windows or linux version would be awesome. I am becoming more familiar with my mac mini everyday but I could speed things up greatly on windows or linux. I'm just so much more familiar with the short cut keys and closing a window on the right instead of realizing the x is now on the left not to mention the dynamics of the home/end keys.

I love my new mac but I could be more productive on linux or windows especially in the prototyping phase.
uid: 22532 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 17824

GoTGames

GoTGames
  • Observer

• 17 posts
  • Guests

I would love to see a Win7 version of this product. I have nothing against Macs at all, but 99% of my work is PC-based. I can't get funds for Mac hardware unless I buy it myself, and the wife already gives me hell about the PC upgrades :).

If you do decide to jump into Win7 with this, I would be happy to help beta-test as well.

Thanks for your consideration.
uid: 27145 topic_id: 81 reply_id: 18454

[topic_controls]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]