[TOPIC: post.html]

develephant

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

For the most up to date discussions on Coronium please use this thread.  Thanks!

Howdy all,

I've spent the last couple weeks doing R&D for building an open source server stack for turn-based multi-player games, as well as, an app server (i.e. Parse), with an emphasis on working with Corona SDK.  But I find myself at a crossroad.

The server would be TCP socket-based, authoritative and all server-side scripts would be coded in Lua.  I have a background in developing multi-user apps with the long forgotten Flash Communication Server for Actionscript.  The one thing I loved was being able to use the same language to develop on the server as well as the client.  So far I have not found a clean, simple, and cost-effective service that offers this for Lua.  I am about 90% done with the "test" stack and have had some amazing results so far.  To be clear this is not an FPS type server, it's built for storing state, sending notifications, etc. more specific to turn-based type games.

On the other hand services like Parse, etc. offer an app server stack, which are also very useful.  And while it would take quite awhile to match the full feature set, I'm very confident that I could build out a stack that would offer push, data storage, and cloud code, all using Lua as the scripting language, on both the front and back-end.  No plug-ins.

Much like the mod_parse module, the goal is to remove as much friction as possible for the developer.  So while you won't deal with databases, etc. directly, you will have access to a clean and simple API for any functionality.

I would love to build both, but can only choose one for now.  So before I try to solve any problems that don't need to be solved, I wanted to know what you, the developers, would find most useful.

Comments and discussion appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

To cover my rear, I'm not confirming that either of these projects will ever see the light of day, but my intention is to build out a beta of at least one of them over the next few months, and I'm already well past the technology stage.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Hi dev,

If its about voting, app server for me :) with mySql and possibly wordpress data tables/user authentication integrated

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

Hi atanas,

Yeah I'm leaning towards the app server as well.  The data layer will include mySql and Redis.  Can you point me toward any information in regards to the WordPress authentication?

Cheers.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Great - Wordpress stores the users in a table wp_users in their database. If you could store all your data in the same db and link to the wp_users it would be fantastic

Thanks
Atanas

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

@atanas I'll put in it on the research list.

Thanks for the feedback.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Great, let us know the progress

ksan

ksan
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Jedi

app server sounds great! Thanks for putting in the time for r&d. Please feel free to reach out if you need any help testing. 

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

@ksan Thanks for your vote.  And yes I'll be looking for some brave souls to alpha with soon.  ;)

Cheers.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Dev, what is the server required config? Let me know if you need a Wordpress server

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

While I'm building it out on Arch Linux to keep everything lean, the components should compile on any modern Linux box.  But my goal is to get it into a Docker container for those who don't want to mess with the source.  I'll also be providing various tutorials on various cloud hosting providers.  But that will be awhile still.

Keeping with the Corona philosophy, the goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that it can be installed and used by most anyone.  But it will be open sourced so you can tinker at whatever level you're comfortable with.  That's the goal anyway. ;)

As far as Wordpress, I have one up already that I can break.  But thank you for the offer.  Much appreciated.

Cheers.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Sounds great, where do we send the Red Bull? :)

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

:D - I have a Keurig that never sleeps. 

I'm moving this into a Google Group if anyone wants to help test or just keep up to date on the progress, contribute code and ideas, etc.

I'll post any major updates in the forum as well.

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/coronium-cloud-platform

Cheers.

ksan

ksan
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Jedi

@develephant, just checking in to see how your Keurig supplies are doing. Let us know if you need a top up.

Very curious to see if you have any progress. About to start a new project and I would love to go in this direction if at all possible. No pressure!  :)

Thanks much for all you do for our community!!!

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

@ksan - I have.  You must hear the chimes ringing because I am putting together some demo stuff right now. :) 

Hang tight, I would love some testing feedback.

Cheers.

ksan

ksan
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Jedi

Best news ever!!! Can't wait.

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

Hello,

I've posted more information about the project at http://coronium.org

You can view a screencast of the progress.  The Lua cloud code in particular starts around 9:17

Still working on the push component, but will have some progress by next week.

If anyone is interested please join the Google Group here.

Cheers.

reyanthonyrenacia

reyanthonyrenacia
  • Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Jedi

@develephant
cheers, may you succeed, hoorah!

before i join the craze, what's the difference between a Game server and an app server?? enlighten me plzzz

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

Hi reyanthonyrenacia,

Going the app server route actually opens up the functionality enough to create the proper modules for most any game server set up. While going strictly game server would have limited development to specific game related functionality only.

Since I am going to be using Coronium for a turn based game in the near future, there will be modules available that can enhance the Coronium server, basically turning it into a game server.

The major difference is speed. Coronium is not meant for FPS or games that require near real-time processing. Coronium is based on a message protocol, and while it is pretty fast, just can't provide that type of raw throughput. It will be best for turn-based games that require storage mechanics between turns.

This thread here http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/43421-coronium-cloud-platform/ is following the active development, so be sure to add your comments and suggestions.

If would like to play around with an instance, let me know.

Cheers.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Looks fantastic, for now I am riding on Kerem's progress but would love to join as soon as I finish my current stuff. Have a great week end

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

@atanas Let me know.  I realized the other day that you had wanted in a while back, so my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.  Kerem might be the Coronium "guru" soon, so he's a good one to follow. ;)

Cheers.

atanas

atanas
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Jedi

Definitely would want IN, but dont want to use your testing slots while I cant dedicate enough time to it. Hopefully next week. Kerem's been great at letting us know the progress

ksan

ksan
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Jedi

Hey, you guys are just too nice. I'm just like a kid in a candy (can I still use the word without being sued? :-) store.

Its great to work work with Coronium. I still have to learn more about the core Coronium features. So far I've been toying around with the MySQL integration and I am more than impressed. Floored is more like it. It is unbelievable how much time and headache it saves you if you used the traditional route of writing PHP code which executed an SQL statement and returned JSON which you downloaded in your app and decoded etc. Coronium is gold. :-)  

@develephant is certainly onto something real big here. Thank you very much for putting in all this effort. It is much appreciated. 

c0ppo

c0ppo
  • Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Advanced Member

Well, a group of us is working on a turn based MP game for almost a year now. We were considering parse or photon, but decided to go with parse because photon is far too expensive for a small indie developers.

Parse basically offers all we need, from custom game logic on their servers, to cloud storage, leaderboards, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I would love to use something like parse but in Lua lang. That service would have to provide for custom code at least for us to switch.

Anyway, Corona Cloud should have been all that, but they dropped it. I really hope you make something out of your project, but I'm just looking what's right for me. And that would be great for me, and for my team as well :)

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Jedi

@c0ppo Please feel free to leave your "wishlist" in the Coronium Google group.  At the very least I'll try to provide a tutorial for it.  More specifically though I can get you a test instance if you want to play with the cloud code and storage features.  If you're slightly interested in using it in your project, I'll be happy to help in any way. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

c0ppo

c0ppo
  • Pro
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Advanced Member

I've already joined. And I'm gonna contact you via pm here in about 20-30mins about my project, since cornium seems like an ideal platform in my case. Parse is excellent, but not so easy to get everything working the way I want it to :)

[topic_controls]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

[/topic_controls]