[TOPIC: topicViewTemplate]
[GLOBAL: userSmallPhoto]
Photo

Is it safe to share your final .apk file with developers for testing?
Started by coolromin Dec 18 2013 04:45 AM

- - - - -
8 replies to this topic
[TOPIC CONTROLS]
[/TOPIC CONTROLS]
[modOptionsDropdown]
[/modOptionsDropdown]
[reputationFilter]
[TOPIC: post.html]

coolromin

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
coolromin
  • Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Jedi

I have just finished work on my multiplayer game and want to share it online with developers and friends for testing. But i don't know if it will be safe?

I mean, can they unpack the file and access the code and resources? If so, is there any workaround?

PS: I have also heard about tools like ProGruard. does it works and can i use it with corona?

Thanks Alot!

coolromin

coolromin
  • Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Jedi

Anyone please???

Panc software

Panc software
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Jedi

Yes, they can unpack the apk and see the resources. The code would be more difficult, but still possible. See apk-tool for more info.

To continue this conversation to it's next logical step, I present this point: Every developer needs to understand there is a certain amount of risk involved when bringing something to market. Beta testing, impression requests and constructive feedback are all necessary when producing a worthwhile app. At any of these stages, someone might steal your idea, resources, theories, code methods etc. This is a reality of which every developer needs to be aware.

What cannot be stolen, however, is your drive and determination to make something interesting that people want to buy. Piracy, IP fraud, misappropriation of assets or any infringements against your product can be and are very frustrating. Even when someone copies your app wholesale, it should serve more to encourage than deter. Your resolve should be bolstered by the knowledge that your idea was good enough to steal (see Temple Run and it's millions of clones). 

I'm not saying it's OK to let people steal from you. By all means, protect your investment. But there is no perfect solution to keep individuals inclined towards immoral activities from stealing from you. Your best defense is to keep innovating and ensuring your products include your own uniqueness and potential, which no one can ever duplicate.

coolromin

coolromin
  • Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Jedi

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to share my game with users here so they can test it before i publish it in the market.

What do you recommend? should i share my game here to testing/feedbacks or directly publish it to the market?

Thanks again!

Panc software

Panc software
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Jedi

If you're asking whether I think beta testing is necessary for developing a successful app, I would say yes, it is an essential part of development. 

Getting people to actually take the time to test the app and give you constructive criticism that you can use to make your app better, is a harder prospect. See these links in order to get the ball rolling with beta testing. 

Danny

Danny
  • Corona Staff
  • 2,312 posts
  • Jedi

You could also get your prospective testers to sign some form of non disclosure agreement. Coupled with some protection of assets clause (i'm not a lawyer so I could be and probably am using incorrect terminology).

At least that way you may have some fallback. It acts as a deterrent if nothing else.

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Jedi

Yes, they can unpack the apk and see the resources. The code would be more difficult, but still possible. See apk-tool for more info.

To continue this conversation to it's next logical step, I present this point: Every developer needs to understand there is a certain amount of risk involved when bringing something to market. Beta testing, impression requests and constructive feedback are all necessary when producing a worthwhile app. At any of these stages, someone might steal your idea, resources, theories, code methods etc. This is a reality of which every developer needs to be aware.

What cannot be stolen, however, is your drive and determination to make something interesting that people want to buy. Piracy, IP fraud, misappropriation of assets or any infringements against your product can be and are very frustrating. Even when someone copies your app wholesale, it should serve more to encourage than deter. Your resolve should be bolstered by the knowledge that your idea was good enough to steal (see Temple Run and it's millions of clones).

I'm not saying it's OK to let people steal from you. By all means, protect your investment. But there is no perfect solution to keep individuals inclined towards immoral activities from stealing from you. Your best defense is to keep innovating and ensuring your products include your own uniqueness and potential, which no one can ever duplicate.

Well said. I was once told that "Nobody gives a crap about your work until it makes money." (A little more colorfully). While a lot of people suggest revealing game design early, I still think you should only reveal after you've made some distance. That way even if someone wants to take your idea, they would be playing serious catch up.

Good luck. If you need more testers, sign me up.

coolromin

coolromin
  • Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Jedi

Actually i don't know any other place to ask people for testing my game so i was thinking about asking people in this forum to test it?

But it is a multiplayer game with each level requiring atleast 4 players to play so is there enough people interested to play it?

And is there any special section in this forum where we can ask users for playing our games?

Thanks!

Rob Miracle

Rob Miracle
  • Corona Staff
  • 8,556 posts
  • Jedi

There is a Facebook group where Corona developer's have volunteered to help beta test your apps:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102481146589254/

You should consider asking there.  As for the APK, you should only handout "debug" versions.  Apps signed with a release keystore could be released by someone else.  Google Play does offer a way to upload signed with release keystores for Alpha and Beta testing.  This may be the safest way to test your app since it's actually being distributed through the store and most non-rooted devices won't be able to get to the APK.

Rob

[topic_controls]
[/topic_controls]