develephant

[GLOBAL: userInfoPane.html]
develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Jedi

Hi,

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but where will I find the most updated API information for the latest release with G2?  The G2 daily builds page says it's still not available.  The public API doesn't seem to show anything new in regards to anchor points, etc.  Point me in the right direction if I am just missing it.

In general I'm kind of confused on what's what.  I'm assuming the "normal" daily builds are now all G2 builds?

As a "daily builds" user, what should I be downloading if I want to use G2?  Are there any updated docs?  There is a lot of inside and posted information in regards to G2 workings, but it would be nice to see something more organized and official, like the G1 version has.

I'm really excited for G2 possibilities, but it seems kind of rushed in regards to backing documentation.

Thanks in advance.

[TOPIC: post.html]

DavidRangel

DavidRangel
  • Corona Staff
  • 730 posts
  • Jedi

develephant - the latest build is build 2076. You can get it here:

https://developer.coronalabs.com/downloads/corona-sdk

There is no daily build yet - the latest build is the actual public release. Daily builds will probably resume sometime next week.

And since the public release is the latest build, then the "normal" docs are the latest docs:

http://docs.coronalabs.com/api/index.html

ksan

ksan
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Jedi

Hi David, 

Does this mean where will be no more daily builds with G1? Is #1260 the last ever update G1 will see? I join @develephant in thinking that this transition to G2 is a little rushed and forced. It appears that even with G1 compatibility mode you still need to do a lot to transition over and then there is the matter of G2 teething pains. The widgets which are already creating many issues for us in G1 are literally inoperable in G2. I really don't want to be going through this over and over again. Remember the 10x promise? Please keep G1 dailies alive while you mature G2 on its own track. 

Thanks & best regards,

Kerem

develephant

develephant
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Jedi

Thanks for the clarification @DavidRangel

I think what threw me off was that there is an entry for the depreciated setReferencePoint, but nowhere on this page does it state it as such: http://docs.coronalabs.com/api/type/DisplayObject/setReferencePoint.html

I think that is going to be an issue for people getting up to speed.  Every place where there has been significant change should be visibly marked.  I rely on the docs heavily for keeping current.  I assume other devs probably do the same.

I'm just ready to learn all I can about G2, but don't want to chase my tail. ;)

Best.

DavidRangel

DavidRangel
  • Corona Staff
  • 730 posts
  • Jedi

Kerem,

Some of this was covered in the post, but here are the 3 important points:

1) Starting now (build #2076) any changes to the core of Corona SDK will be done only to G2.0 builds

2) We are about to post the code of a "legacy" version of the widgets to Github. This code will have the very latest fixes done to the Graphics 1.0 widgets framework. It is open source. 

3) We will also very soon post the code (on Github) for the widgets framework that supports G2.0. Any changes we make going forward will only be to this G2.0 version of widgets.

If there is something you need in the G1.0 version of widgets, you are free and welcome to backport it, since both are open source. Unfortunately we cannot keep updating 2 versions of the framework or core Corona SDK going forward.

Let me know if that answers your question.

David

ksan

ksan
  • Pro
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Jedi

David, 

Thank you for the clear response. 

Have a good weekend.